Secrets of Sheepskin settlement
Sheepskin settlement in Zamoskvorechye - a mysterious place. And several secrets are hidden by Middle Ovchinnikovsky lane. Behind the multi-storey buildings in the courtyard a small white church hid, which is not visible from the streets. The Church of the Archangel Michael in Ovchinniki is located at Middle Ovchinnikovsky Lane, Building No. 7.
The names - Runovsky and Ovchinnikovsky lanes, the Church of the Archangel Michael and the stone chambers in Ovchinniki remind that in the XVII century there was a sovereign Ovchinna settlement in this part of Zamoskvorechye who was in charge of wool and sheepskin. According to the censuses of 1632 and 1658, there were 103 courtyards.
1. The existing stone church building was built in the 1660s.
2. Now from all sides the church is surrounded by multi-storey buildings.
3. The bell tower with the octahedral tier of the bell and the refectory were added at the beginning of the 18th century.
4. Initially, the church had not one, but three chapters, two of which were later removed. Contrary to the well-established name, only the southern side-altar was consecrated in the name of the Archangel Michael, and the main altar was created in the name of the Protection of the Virgin. Later, in 1770, the chapel of the martyr Kharlampy was consecrated.
5. Octagonal bell tower.
6. The windows of the apse at the beginning of the XVIII century were decorated with platbands in the style of Moscow baroque. The columns are crowned with curls in two tiers and six-pointed Orthodox crosses.
7. If you look closely, you can see the image of the skull under the cross - this is a symbolic image of the place of the Crucifixion of Christ, called the Calvary of the Cross.
8. The church was closed in the early 1930s. In its walls were placed in turn offices, bakery, hostel, and it was used as a utility room.
9. The interior decoration was completely lost, only two icons, one of which was created by the famous icon painter Simon Ushakov in 1652, came to the Tretyakov Gallery.
10. In 1998, services were resumed in the church, at the same time restoration was carried out.
11. Right next to the church, at Middle Ovchinnikovsky Lane, Building 10, Building 1, is one of the oldest surviving civilian buildings in Zamoskvorechye - stone chambers in Ovchinnaya Sloboda.
12. They were built, most likely, at the end of the XVII century.
13. Some historians believe that there was an orderly hut here, in which affairs relating to the management of the city were kept, stamps and sovereigns were kept, letters of payment and dues, receipt and expenditure books.Others claim that the wards were used for production purposes. This is evidenced by the findings of archaeologists, among whom the leather tanning industry is dominant.
14. Most likely, administrative offices were located on the second floor, and production was located on the first floor.
15. It was possible to get to the second floor directly from the street, going up a separate high porch. Until our time, it has not survived, but the door remained.
16. With the elimination of the settlement in the XVIII century, the building passed into private hands. A few decades later, shortly after the fire of Moscow in 1812, the chambers were rebuilt into an empire mansion with a mezzanine. At the same time was added the southern part, which retained its original appearance.
17. The restoration of the state chambers was first carried out in 1976-1981 under the leadership of I. I. Kazakevich. Then it was decided to restore the main volume of the building in its original form, and save the extension of the XIX century.
18. The chambers stayed like this until 2003. The last restoration of the stone chambers was carried out simultaneously with the construction of the shopping center "Arcadia". Currently, the chambers are the home of the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael in Ovchinniki.
The meanest billionaire: Paul Getty complained about bills from doctors when his son was dying of cancerSecrets of Sheepskin settlement image, picture