How to remove the steering rack?
Watch the video
Every motorist is well aware that one of the most important mechanisms of a vehicle is undoubtedly steering. Not only the smooth movement of the car, but also the safety of the driver and passengers depends on its serviceability. Proper maneuverability will help the driver turn in time in the right direction in order to avoid a collision.
Any motorist should know how to change the steering rack, because it is not known what situation he can get on the road and what knowledge would be useful to him.
Dismantling the steering rack
The service manual should be attached to the new car. These documents are usually described in great detail how to properly carry out this procedure for a particular car brand. However, it also happens that the documents are not attached, so you have to get out on your own. We have a few simple tips that will help you to remove the steering rack without any problems.
- Find out exactly what type of steering rack was installed on a particular brand of car. It can be a power steering, the simplest mechanism, or an electric amplifier.
- For power steering. We release the high-pressure tubes and drain all the available liquid from there into a clean container. For an electric booster, dismantling is very complicated, so it’s best to contact a specialized service.
- Simple mechanism:
- Weaken the mount, attach the bolts to the vehicle body;
- Remove the gimbal mount.
Installing the steering rack
- We check that all steering rods are in place;
- The steering mechanism is located on the right;
- Gently connect the universal joint with the steering rack;
- Slowly we attach all the pipes to the places, using only new sealing rings, and not the old ones;
- We check that the pipelines are installed smoothly;
- Install mounts for future brackets;
- Fill the tank with liquid that was removed when removing the steering rack.
Remove the steering rack and install it back is not so difficult if you know how to do it. The main thing is to keep track of your car and check all its mechanisms in time so as not to be helpless in the smallest damage.