How to express milk: expert advice
In the process of breastfeeding there are such moments when it is impossible to do without expressing milk.
Every mother is important to know the situations in which pumping is necessary. In addition, it is worth noting that pumping is not an easy process; it is necessary to learn how to express milk to avoid breast diseases.
Today we invite you to talk about whenneed to express milk, how to do it, which is better to choose: manual pumping or pumping with a breast pump?
See also:Breastfeeding: by mode or on demand?
When and why to decant?
Most modern experts say that it is necessary to express milk only when necessary.
So, the need for pumping is:
- during the formation of lactation- in the first month or two of breastfeeding, decanting is necessary, because at first the milk is produced more than the baby can eat.In order for lactation to be established, time is needed, very soon the baby will be convinced to eat more, and you yourself will feel that there is no need to decant
- if your chest is full, and the baby is still asleep and does not intend to eat - if in such a situation do not express the milk, inflammation may occur;
- if mom temporarily transferred the baby to the mix: there is some treatment, but after it is going to return to breastfeeding. In this case, pumping is necessary so that lactation does not fade during your treatment;
- if the baby was born prematurely, this means that the baby cannot yet suck the breast, therefore pumping is necessary, because it will stimulate lactation, thus, by the time the baby gets stronger, mom will have enough milk.
If, in these cases, do not pumping, there may be problems with lactation, as well as inflammation.
Important!Do not decant the breast without the need, just in case, it can lead to excessive milk production.
See also:"Front" and "back" breast milk: what's the difference
How to express milk?
It is known that you can express milk using a breast pump or with your hands.
Squeeze Breast Pump
There are many breastpumps on the market now. Two main types: manual and automatic (electric, battery-powered).
Manual breast pumps allow you to express milk fairly quickly, they are not very expensive, but you need to make efforts for expressing. Automatic breastpumps are very expensive, they allow you to express milk very quickly and without effort.
Mum-forumchanka Karina says:“When I was 9 months pregnant, we once got into conversation with my acquaintance, at that time already the mother of a beautiful daughter, about what it is necessary to take with us to the hospital. We discussed a lot, I totally agreed with her. But I was surprised that she simply insisted that I take the breast pump with me to the hospital. At that moment I absolutely did not understand why this was necessary, all her arguments seemed ridiculous to me. She claimed that a lot of milk could come, and I might not be able to express it with my hands, it would stagnate, there would be problems. At that moment I was far from this and decided that I would not take all the breast pump with me. And so, I'm lying in the hospital, on the second day of the baby's life, it happened that wayas my friend said, a lot of milk arrived, I couldn’t get anything with my hands, although the midwives showed how to do it, they succeed, but I don’t. Then I called my husband, explained to him what kind of breast pump to buy, and he quickly brought me a wonderful manual breast pump, it saved me. ”
There are general rules for expressing milk with a breast pump:
- Before using the device, it must be sterilized, according to the instructions;
- pumping should not hurt;
- after decantation, the device must be washed;
- strictly follow the instructions attached to the device.
When buying a device, give preference to trusted companies. Straining with a breast pump is contraindicated in case of nipple cracks.
Maria Savinova, pediatrician, homeopath:«If you work, and you have very little time for pumping, and you need to pump out constantly, then an electric breast pump, for example, will do for you. If you are free, and you need to express extra milk sometimes, then a manual breast pump will work for you. ”
Read also: Breast milk: composition and properties
It is more difficult to strain the milk by hand than to express a breast pump. To make such pumping really effective, you need to master the proper pumping technique. The main advantage of this method is that it does not require any monetary expenditure.
Manual pumping rules:
- Wash hands before pumping;
- make a small massage of the breast and nipples, it will help stimulate the secretion of milk;
- do not use force when pumping;
Maria Savinova, pediatrician, homeopath:“You need to put your hand on your chest, then put your thumb so that it is above the rest of your fingers at a distance of about 5 centimeters from the areola. Press your hand against your rib cage, bringing your thumb and index fingers together. When you see a drop or a trickle of milk, repeat the movements with your hands, moving your fingers in a circle to express the milk from all the milk segments. Do not put your hands too close to the nipple, it will hurt. "
See also:How to store breast milk
Milk can be collected in sterile jars or containers, it can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 5 days and in a freezer for up to 4 months.
Each mother can ask for the help of an obstetrician at a maternity hospital or for the help of a pediatrician, a breastfeeding specialist, after arriving home, in order to learn how to properly express milk manually.
Marina Shimkova, lactologist, instructor in preparing for the birth of the family center "Alphabet for parents.""It is very important not to injure the chest, to express correctly, do it only if necessary, preferably with your hands. Breastfeeding restores a woman’s body, helps to lose weight, again, if we do everything right. ”