How to determine the breed of a cat?
If you became the owner of a kitten or an adult cat without documents, but her color or shape of ears, faces looks noble, and you assume that she had pedigreed parents, then you can learn how to determine the breed of a cat thanks to certain characteristics. In addition, if the signs of your cat's nobility are pronounced, you can accurately name its breed. However, here you need to remember that without a pedigree, which is issued by the club, your cat will still be a purebred animal, which leads to the impossibility of her participation in exhibitions, and she will not be able to produce pedigreed kittens.
To determine the breed of a cat, you may need an atlas and characterization of cat breeds. If you go to an online consultation, then most likely you will need a clear picture of the cat itself, its ears, muzzle, legs and tail.
Instructions for determining the breed of cat
- Before you know the breed of a cat, we recommend that you first understand the term "breed".By this concept is meant a group of domestic cats, which was recognized by the international felinological organization. Based on this, a purebred cat will be named that cat whose pedigree is reliable and was confirmed by the club. If you purchased a kitten in a kennel that has been certified accordingly, then you can be sure about its origin. As a rule, in the pedigree will be indicated and the breed of a kitten, and the names of three generations of ancestors, and especially the color of the animal.
- In the case when the pedigree of the cat is absent, the cat will be considered mongrel, even if it has the characteristic features of a certain breed.
- You can compare the exterior of a cat today through photos in a special atlas of cats (as a rule, such atlases are sold in bookstores or on the Internet), for example, here:
Note that the characteristics of color, as well as the nature of the cat must also meet all the standards that are inherent in a particular breed ().
We also advise not to rush to the definition of the breed. If you have taken a little kitten or picked it up on the street, then we advise you not to hurry with the definition of the breed.In this case, the thing will be that the particular color of a kitten may change over time. That is, the characteristics of cat breeds manifest, as a rule, only in adults. For example, white cats in childhood have dark spots on their heads, but over time they disappear.
Qualifier online famous cat breeds
With the help of such a small determinant, we will help you to facilitate the task, how to find out what breed of cat. Even if the characteristics of your cat are not pronounced, you can still check what kind of breed your cat will look like. It should be noted that such a determinant will work better already for adult animals, as well as for kittens that are older than six months. We list some characteristics of the most famous breeds, starting with the most common and ending with more accurate for certain breeds:
Marked deformations in the structure of the paws, tail and ears are characteristic of:
- In case the cat's ears are folded forward: Scottish Fold, Highland Fold or Longhair Scottish Fold.
- Ears are bent back: American Curl.
- If the cat has no tail, then it can be: American, Kurilian, Japanese bobtail, pixie bob or toy bob, Manx, Cymrik.
Characteristics of cat fur:
- If there is no wool at all, it is: Canadian, St. Petersburg or Don Sphynx, Minsk Sphynx, Ukrainian Levkoy.
- If the wool is frizzy and short, then it is Cornish Rex or Devon Rex, German Rex.
- If the wool is long, then it is Bohemian Rex, Selkirk Rex, La Perm.
- If the coat is very long and straight, then this is a Persian cat.
- If the wool is hard and frizzy, then it is an American wire wool.
Unusual color cats:
- The so-called characteristic "Siamese" color: dark face, paws and tail are Siamese, Balinese, Neva masquerade, Thai (old-type Siamese), Himalayan.
- "Siamese" color with a characteristic white color of the legs: Burmese, Snow-Shu or Ragdoll.
- Smooth gray or "blue" coat color: British Shorthair, Russian Blue, Korat, Chartreuse or Nibelung.
- "Sand" coat color: Abyssinian cat or Somali.
- "Wild" coat color, for example, spots or stripes: Bengal, Kurilian bobtail, Siberian, Serengeti, Egyptian Mau, savanna or safari.
- The brown color of the cat's fur will indicate: tiffany-shantilli or havana brown.